History & Mission
The Richmond Fisher House
The Richmond Fisher House opened on the campus of the Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Hospital on July 21, 2008, at a cost of $5.8 Million. The Fisher House was made possible by the leadership and generosity of Richmond business and civic leaders, led by William C. Boinest, Chairman of Craigie, Inc., and by the national Fisher House organization.
This beautiful facility provides lodging to the families of veterans receiving treatment at the McGuire VA hospital, at no cost. It contains 21 family suites, including private bath, dining areas, recreation, and entertainment. It is fully handicap-accessible. Its average occupancy level is 92-94%, and the average length of stay is 12-14 days. Guest stays have extended as long as one year. Over 2,000 families have been our guests since opening. Having family members nearby provides significant benefits and advantages to patient treatment, rehabilitation and recovery. By providing cost-free living quarters for patient families, the Fisher House provides an immeasurable benefit to patient care, in addition to the care and well-being of our veterans’ family members.
The Richmond Fisher House Foundation, Inc.
The Richmond Fisher House Foundation was established on September 2, 2010, through the leadership of L. Holmes Ginn, IV, a Senior Vice President of BB&T Capital Markets and a combat veteran. The foundation is a nonprofit corporation, organized in accordance with Sections 170(b)(1)(A) and 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and the Virginia Nonstock Corporation Act, Va. Code Section 13.1-801, et. seq. The Foundation is governed by a Board of Directors and maintains audited financial statements. It is a United Way accredited agency.
The mission of the Foundation is to provide monetary and in-kind support to the Richmond Fisher House and its mission. Since its founding, the Foundation has devoted funds to pay for the cost of improvements at the Fisher House, as well as expanded facilities and services that are now available to the families and service members who depend on the Fisher House and the indispensable resource it provides. Through funds provided by the Foundation, the leadership and staff of the Richmond Fisher House have obtained recreational and entertainment facilities and equipment, technology, transportation assistance, recreational opportunities, shopping options, and meals assistance, all for the benefit of the veterans’ families who are guests.
Each dollar donated to the Richmond Fisher House Foundation not only directly benefits the Richmond Fisher House and its facilities and programs, it also benefits the national Fisher House organization, and the U.S. Veterans Administration Hospitals, by lessening the need for support from those organizations.
The purposes for which this corporation, a nonprofit charitable and patriotic Association, is formed are:
- Provide financial, volunteer and emotional support for any compassionate care facility (Fisher House) located on military bases or Veterans’ Administration medical facilities in Virginia constructed under the national Fisher House Foundation umbrella beginning with the facility located at 1201 Broad Rock Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23249. The financial support is obtained from individual, Association and corporate contributions, gifts and donations to The Fisher House of Richmond, Inc. Volunteer support is recruited to assist with Fisher House operations and food pickups. Fisher Houses provide compassionate lodging in warm, supportive home environments free of charge for the families of seriously ill patients being treated at military and VA medical centers. Having family support close by has proven to speed up the recovery process.
This assistance makes it possible for military family members to stay close to loved ones to support them through their medical crises without the burden of costly accommodations. This assistance is beyond that normally provided by the Departments of Defense and Veterans Affairs.
- Partner with other organizations dedicated to assisting military families who wish to contribute funds or volunteer time to support the Fisher Houses in Virginia beginning with the Hunter Holmes McGuire Fisher House.
- Increase awareness of Fisher House humanitarian services by educating the public and private donors/ foundations about the funding needs for operating and sustaining this vital program for our nation’s military men and women and their families.
- Foster awareness in military circles, by informing active and retired military personnel and their families about this humanitarian support available to them during their medical crises.
- Engage in any other lawful activity which may hereafter be authorized from time to time by the Executive Board, provided, however, that the purposes for which the corporation is formed shall at all times be consistent with Section 5Ol(c)(3) of the Code.
The Richmond Fisher House Foundation would like to thank especially the following organizations, without which the Foundation’s work would not have been possible:
- BB&T Capital Markets
- Davenport & Company LLC
- Harris, Hardy & Johnstone, P.C.
- Vandeventer Black LLP
- WRVA Talk Radio